Are you still using Windows 7? As the operating system ends its life in January 2020, and no longer receives security updates, it’s time to upgrade to Windows 10. But don’t worry, you don’t have to break the bank to make the switch. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of how to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 offers numerous benefits, including enhanced security features, improved performance, and access to the latest software updates. Plus, it’s essential to upgrade to ensure that your system remains supported and protected against any vulnerabilities or threats. Additionally, Windows 10 provides users with a modern interface and improved functionality.
While upgrading your operating system may seem daunting, our step-by-step guide will make the process simple and easy to follow. We’ll explain how to check your system requirements, create and restore a backup, download and install Windows 10, and activate Windows for free.
So don’t let the fear of the unknown hold you back from upgrading to Windows 10. Learn how to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free and take advantage of all the latest features and benefits.
- Advertisement -
Check System Requirements before Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10
Before you start the upgrade process, it’s necessary to check that your system meets the minimum requirements before Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. Here are the minimum system requirements for Windows 10:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
- RAM: 1 GB for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 800 x 600 resolution
To check if your system is compatible with Windows 10, you can use “Microsoft’s Upgrade Assistant“. This tool will scan the system and give you a compatibility report, listing any issues that may prevent you from upgrading.
To use the Upgrade Assistant, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Windows 10 Update Assistant” page and “Download the Assistant“.
- Run the Upgrade Assistant.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the scan.
- Review the compatibility report and address any issues before proceeding with the upgrade.
If your system doesn’t meet the minimum requirements for Windows 10, you may need to upgrade your hardware. Contact your manufacturer or a computer technician for advice to upgrade your system.
Once you’ve confirmed that your system is compatible to install Windows 10, you’re ready to proceed with the upgrade process. In the next section, we’ll guide you through creating a backup of your system to ensure that you don’t lose any data during the upgrade.
- Advertisement -
Create a Backup before Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10
It’s essential to create a backup before you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 so that all your important files and documents are in safe hands. This will ensure that you don’t lose any data during the upgrade process.
There are several backup methods available, including using an external hard drive, a cloud storage service, or Windows’ built-in backup utility. Here are the steps to create a backup using Windows’ built-in backup utility:
- Go to the Start menu and type “backup” in the search bar.
- Click on “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” from the search results.
- Click on “Set up backup.”
- Choose where to save your backup (external hard drive or DVD).
- Select the files and folders you want to back up.
- Choose a schedule for your backups (daily, weekly, or monthly).
- Click on “Save settings and run backup“.
Now, wait until the backup is complete. Don’t remove your external hard drive or DVD during the process. If you need to restore from a backup, follow these steps:
- Advertisement -
- Click on the Start menu and type “backup” in the search bar.
- Tap on “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” from the search results.
- Click on “Restore my files“.
- Choose the backup you want to restore from.
- Select the files and folders you want to restore.
- Click on “Restore” to begin the process.
By following these steps, you can create a backup of your data and restore it if necessary, ensuring that your important files are safe and secure during the upgrade process.
How to Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free
Once you’ve checked your system requirements, creating a backup, and are ready to proceed, the next step is to download and install Windows 10. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
You can download Windows 10 for free from Microsoft’s website. Simply go to the “Microsoft’s Download Windows 10” page website and click on the “Download now” button. Once you’ve downloaded the Windows 10 installation file, you’ll need to create a bootable USB or DVD to install it on your system.
Create a Bootable USB or DVD
To create a bootable USB or DVD, you’ll need to download the “Windows 10 Media Creation Tool“. Once you’ve downloaded the tool, follow these steps:
- Insert a USB drive or DVD into your computer.
- Run the Media Creation Tool and select “Upgrade this PC or Create installation media for another PC“.
- Choose your language, edition, and architecture of Windows 10.
- Select the “USB flash drive” or “ISO file” option and click on “Next.”
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
Installing Windows 10
Once you’ve created a bootable USB or DVD, you’re ready to install Windows 10. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- Insert the bootable USB or DVD into your computer.
- Restart your computer and press the appropriate key to boot from the USB or DVD (usually F2, F10, or Del).
- Select your language, time and currency format, and keyboard input method.
- Click on “Install now“.
- Enter your product key or select the “Skip” option if you don’t have one.
- Select the version of Windows 10 you want to install and click on “Next.”
- Read I you want but you must need to accept the license terms.
- Choose the “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” option.
- Select the partition where you want to install Windows 10 and click on “Next“.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation process.
Activating Windows 10
Once you’ve installed Windows 10, you’ll need to activate it to continue using it beyond the trial period. Here’s how to activate Windows 10. Or you can learn how to activate Windows 10 for free.
- Go to the Start menu and select “Settings“.
- Click on “Update & Security” and then select “Activation“.
- Click on “Change product key” and enter your product key.
- If you don’t have a product key, click on “Activate” to activate Windows 10 using a digital license.
Frequency Asked Questions
Can I upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free?
How much does it cost to upgrade a computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
What are the minimum requirements to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
RAM: 1 GB for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800 x 600 resolution
Updating Windows 7 to Windows 10 is a straightforward process that can be completed in just a few steps. By upgrading to Windows 10, you’ll enjoy improved security features, faster performance, and access to new features and functionalities.
To upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free, you’ll need to check your system requirements, create a backup, download and install Windows 10, and activate the new operating system. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can upgrade your operating system without spending any money.
If you encounter any issues during the process, you can refer to the troubleshooting tips outlined in this article or seek additional help from “Microsoft Support“.
In conclusion, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is a smart decision that will help you stay up-to-date with the latest operating system and enjoy all its benefits. We hope this article has been helpful in guiding you through the upgrade process. For additional resources and information, be sure to check out Microsoft’s website.